The Parish of Barton lies at the foot of Ullswater in the Lake District National Park. A mere 15 square kiolometres in area, it comprises beautiful rolling farmland, bordered on the west by the River Eamont and the lakeshore, rising to the limestone escarpment of Heughscar to the east. The fell then stretches southwards, rising majestically to Arthur’s Pike, the beginning of the high mountains overlooking the upper reach of the lake. From there the parish boundary follows the course of the Roman “High Street” to end just beyond the peak of Loadpot Hill.
There is one small village in the parish, Pooley Bridge, housing approximately half of the parish population of around 240. Being only five miles from the M6 and A66 the parish is the first point of arrival for many of the visitors to the North Lakes.
The area has been a gathering place for people since neolithic times, evidenced by examples of standing stones on the fell. Dunmallard Hill overlooking the village, and the adjacent lake and river frontage, have provided the ideal strategic site for a succession of Ancient Briton, Roman, Saxon and Viking settlers. In the twelfth century King John granted a licence for a fish market on the current village site. The parish has two churches; St Michael’s, Barton which dates from 1150, and St Paul’s, Pooley Bridge, built in the nineteenth century.